Old Red Trail: Birth of the Interstate

Clip 1 | Clip 2 | Clip 3

|Clip 4 | Clip 5 | Clip 6

Crossing the United States before the federal highway system was in place was very difficult.  Future President Dwight Eisenhower traveled in a military expedition from Maryland to California in 1919 and took that experience with him to the White House.  He signed the Federal Highway Act in 1956, which resulted in the opening of the first part of Interstate 94 in October of 1958 between Valley City and Jamestown.  The video clip also includes discussion of how the interstate highway project was funded, its value in national defense, and secondary road improvement projects.



Download Video Right Click for Download Options

Producer

Bob Dambach (Producer); Dave Geck (Editor); Kim Stenejhem, Hope Deutscher (Associate Producers); Dave Geck, Travis Jensen, Lee Westad, Kak Lee, Doug Van Tassel (Videographers); Barbara Gravel (Production Manager); Bob Dambach, Bennett Kubischta (Executive Producers)

Source

Old Red Trail [Documentary]. USA: Prairie Public Broadcasting.

Grade Level

2 - 12

Subject Matter

Social Studies

Related Media

  1. Old Red Trail: How the Old Red Trail Came to Be
    Video: The modern-day interstate highway system that runs through North Dakota has a long history, starting in the early 20th century.
  2. Old Red Trail: Beginning
    Video: A discussion of the early days of the Old Red Trail, including the pioneer drivers who first plotted the route in 1914, as well as how it got its name.
  3. Old Red Trail: Early Red Trail Travel
    Video: Early travel on the Old Red Trail was difficult due to poor roads and weather conditions.
  4. Old Red Trail: Construction Changes
    Video: A discussion of improvements in road construction in North Dakota over the past 50 years.
  5. Old Red Trail: Resisting the Interstate
    Video: The transition from Highway 10 to the modern Interstate Highway 94 was not without opposition. As a controlled-access highway, Interstate 94 was a large departure from what people were used to when it came to North Dakotan roads.